If you’re having a hard time convincing your boss to get you a standing desk, show them this new study published October 10, 2018. The study shows sit-stand desks not only benefit the workers health, but boost their productivity too.
Here’s what research already told us before this study:
- High levels of sedentary behaviour (sitting) have been associated with an increased risk of morbidity and mortality and have been shown to be detrimental for work related outcomes
- Office workers are one of the most sedentary populations, spending 70-85% of time at work sitting
- Interventions to reduce sitting in the workplace have received increasing attention in recent years but studies to evaluate these have been deemed low quality
Here’s what this new study adds:
The research was done over the course of a year using 2 groups of workers: one group with a sit-stand desk and the control group with just a regular sitting desk
After 12 months, the improvements in the sit-stand group were the following:
- 83 minute per workday decrease in sitting after 12 months
- Significant increase in job performance
- Significant decrease in occupational fatigue
- Significant decrease in sickness presenteeism
- Significant reported improvement in psychological, environmental, and overall quality of life
The research suggests that sit-stand desks, which can be adjusted throughout the day are a better option than either static sitting or standing desks.
Check out the full study here: https://www.bmj.com/content/363/bmj.k3870
If you’re wanting a super affordable and extra-portable standing desk, check out the $39 Ghostand Standing Desk Converter at ghostand.co.